Associate Professor and Racheff Faculty Scholar, Carle Illinois College of Medicine Affiliate
204 Materials Science & Eng Bld
For more information
Chapters in Books
- The hydration of DNA – amphiphile complexes: C. Leal and H. Wennerström in DNA Interactions with polymers and surfactants, Dias, R.S. and Lindman, B. (eds). Wiley-Blackwell, Boston, MA, 2008. (Featured in the book cover)
Selected Articles in Journals
- Z. Tan, Z. Song, T. Xue, L. Zheng, L. Jiang, Y. Jiang, Z. Fu, A. Nguyen, C. Leal and J. Cheng, "Open-air synthesis of oligo(ethylene glycol)-functionalized polypeptides from non-purified N-carboxyanhydrides", Biomater. Sci., 4120-4126 (2021)
- M. Han, H. Kim, C. Leal, M. Negrito, J. Batteas, R. Espinosa-Marzal, "Insight into the Electrical Double Layer of Ionic Liquids Revealed through its Temporal Evolution" Adv. Mater. Interfaces, 2001313 (2020)
- J. Koo, S. B. Kim, Y. S. Choi, Z. Xie, A. Bandodkar, J. Khalifeh, Y. Yan, H. Kim, M. K. Pezhouh, K. Doty, G. Lee, Y.-Y. Chen, S. M. V. Lee, G. D'Andrea, K. Jung, K.H. Lee, K. Li, S. Jo, H. Wang, J. H. Kim, J. Kim, S.-G. Choi, W. J. Jang, Y. S. Oh, I. Park, S. S. Kwak, J.-H. Park, D. Hong, X. Feng, C.-H. Lee, A. Banks, C. Leal, H. M. Lee, Y. Huang, C. K. Franz, W. Ray, M. MacEwan, S.-K. Kang & J. A Rogers, "Wirelessly controlled, bioresorbable drug delivery devices with active valves that exploit electrochemically triggered crevice corrosion". Sci. Adv. 6, eabb1093 (2020)
- Y. K. Go, N. Kambar, C. Leal, "Hybrid Unilamellar Vesicles of Phospholipids and Block Copolymers with Crystalline Domains", Polymers 12, 1232 (2020)
- S. Lv, H. Kim, Z. Song, L. Feng, Y. Yang, R. Baumgartner, K.-Y. Tseng, S. J. Dillon, C. Leal, L. Yin, and J. Cheng "Unimolecular Polypeptide Micelles via Ultrafast Polymerization of N-Carboxyanhydrides" J. Am. Chem. Soc. 142, 8570-8574 (2020)
- T. A. Kim, C. Lamuta, H. Kim, C. Leal and N. R. Sottos, "Interfacial Force-focusing Effect in Mechanophore-linked Nanocomposites" Adv. Sci. 7, 1903464 (2020)
- M. Kim, M. Porras-Gomez and C. Leal, "Graphene-based sensing of oxygen transport through pulmonary membranes" Nat. Commun. 11, 1103 (10 pages) (2020)
- S. Bandara, T. Molley, H. Kim, P. Bharath, K. Kristopher and C. Leal "The structural fate of lipid nanoparticles in the extracellular matrix" Mater. Horiz. 7, 125-134 (2020)
- M. Porras-Gomez, and C. Leal, "Lipid-based liquid crystalline films and solutions for the delivery of cargo to cells" Liq. Cryst. Rev. 7, 167-182 (2019). DOI. (Featured in the journal cover)
- H. Kim, M. Han, S. Bandara, R. M. Espinoza-Marzal, and C. Leal, "Mixing oil and water with ionic liquids: bicontinuous microemulsions under confinement" Soft Matter 15, 9609−9613 (2019)
- N.F. Bouxsein, C. Leal, C. S. McAllister, Y. Li, K. K. Ewert, C.E. Samuel, C. R. Safinya "3D Columnar Phase of Stacked Short DNA Organized by Coherent Membrane Undulations" Langmuir, 35, 11891-11901 (2019)
- J. Shin, J. Sung, M. Kang, X. Xie, B. Lee, K. M. Lee, T. J. White, C. Leal, N. Sottos, P. V. Braun, D. G. Cahill, "Light-triggered thermal conductivity switching in azobenzene polymers" Proc. Natl. Acad. Sc.i USA, 116, 5973-5978 (2019)
- S. W. Leung and C. Leal, "The stabilization of primitive bicontinuous cubic phases with tunable swelling over a wide composition range", Soft Matter, 15, 1269-1277 (2019)
- H. Kim, J. Sung, Y. Chang, A. Alfeche, C. Leal, "Microfluidics Synthesis of Gene Silencing Cubosomes", ACS Nano, 12, 9196-9205 (2018)
- M. Tuteja, M. Kang, C. Leal, A. Centrone, "Nanoscale Partitioning of Paclitaxel in Hybrid Lipid-Polymer Membranes", Analyst 143, 3808-3813 (2018). DOI:10.1039/C8AN00838H. [Featured in the journal cover]
- D. Steer, S. W. Leung, H. Meiselman, D. Topgaard, C. Leal, "Structure of Lung-mimetic Multilamellar Bodies with Lipid Compositions Relevant in Pneumonia", Langmuir, 34, 7561-7574 (2018).
- S. Y. Cho, M. Kang, J. Choi, M. E. Lee, H. J. Yoon, H. J. Kim, C. Leal, S. Lee, H. -J. Jin, Y. S. Yun, "Pyrolytic Carbon Nanosheets for Ultrafast and Ultrastable Sodium-Ion Storage" Small, 14, 1703043 (9 pages) (2018).
- M. Kang, M. Tuteja, A. Centrone, D. Topgaard, C. Leal, "Nanostructured Lipid-based Films for Substrate Mediated Applications in Biotechnology" Adv. Funct. Mater. 28, 1704356 (20 pages) (2018).
- M. Kang, B. Lee, C. Leal, “Three-Dimensional Microphase Separation and Synergistic Permeability in Stacked Lipid-Polymer Hybrid Membranes” Chem. Mater. 29, 9120–9132 (2017).
- H. Kim, Z. Song, C. Leal, "Super-swelled Lyotropic Single Crystals" Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA, 114, 10834-10839 (2017).
- D. Steer, M. Kang, C. Leal, "Soft nanostructured films for directing the assembly of functional materials" Nanotechnology, 28, 142001 (17 pages) (2017).
- M. Kang, H. Kim, C. Leal, “Self-organization of nucleic acids in lipid constructs” Curr. Opin. Colloid Interface Sci. 26, 58-65 (2016).
- R. Mansbach, A. Ferguson, K. Kilian, J. Krogstad, C. Leal, A. Schleife, D. R. Trinkle, M. West, G. L. Herman, “Reforming an undergraduate materials science curriculum with computational modules” J. Mate. Educ. 38, 161-174 (2016).
- S. Uzan, H. Kim, C. Leal. G.W. Padua, “Ethanol-induced whey protein gels as carriers for lutein droplets” Food Hydrocoll. 61, 426-432 (2016).
- J. Shin, M. Kang, T. Tsai, C. Leal, P.V. Braun, D.G. Cahill, “Thermally functional liquid crystal networks by magnetic field driven molecular orientation” ACS Macro Lett. 5, 955-960 (2016).
- M. Kang, C. Leal, “Soft Nanostructured Films for Actuated Surface-Based siRNA Delivery” Adv. Funct. Mater. 26, 5610–5620 (2016). [Featured in the journal cover]
- L.A. Jurado, H. Kim, A. Rossi, A. Arcifa, J.K. Schuh, N.D. Spencer, C. Leal, R.H. Ewoldt, R.M. Espinosa-Marzal, “Effect of the environmental humidity on the bulk, interfacial and nanoconfined properties of an ionic liquid” Phys. Chem. Chem. Phys. 18, 22719-22730 (2016).
- Y.S. Yun, S. Lee, N.R. Kim, M. Kang, C. Leal, K.Y. Park, K. Kang, H.J. Jin, “High and rapid alkali cation storage in ultramicroporous carbonaceous materials” J. Power Sources 313, 142-151 (2016).
- N. R. Kim, Y. S. Yun, M. Y. Song, S. J. Hong, M. Kang, C. Leal, Y. W. Park, and H.-J. Jin, "Citrus-Peel-Derived, Nanoporous Carbon Nanosheets Containing Redox-Active Heteroatoms for Sodium-Ion Storage" ACS Appl. Mater. Interfaces, 5, 3175–3181 (2016).
- C. H. Lee, H. Kim, D. Harburg, G. Park, Y. Ma, T. Pan, J. S. Kim, N. Y. Lee, B. H. Kim, K.-I. Jang, S.-K. Kang, Y. Huang, J. Kim, K.-M. Lee, C. Leal, J. A. Rogers, "Biological lipid membranes for on-demand, wireless drug delivery from thin, bioresorbable electronic implants" NPG. Asia. Mater. 7(e227), 969-973 (2015).
- H. Kim, C. Leal, “Cuboplexes: Topologically Active siRNA Delivery“ ACS Nano, 9, 10214–10226 (2015).
- Z. Song, H. Kim, X. Ba, R. Baumgartner, J.S. Lee, H. Tang, C. Leal, J Cheng. “Polypeptide vesicles with densely packed multilayer membranes“ Soft Matter 20, 4091-4098 (2015).
- L.A. Jurado, H. Kim, A. Arcifa, A. Rossi, C. Leal, N.D. Spencer, R.M. Espinosa-Marzal, “Irreversible structural change of a dry ionic liquid under nanoconfinement“ Phys. Chem. Chem. Phys. 17, 13613 –13624 (2015).
- B. H. Kim, M. S. Onses, J. B. Lim, S. Nam, N. Oh, H. Kim, K. J. Yu, J. W. Lee, J.-H. Kim, S.-K. Kang, C. H. Lee, J. Lee, J. H. Shin, N. H. Kim, C. Leal, M. Shim, and J. A. Rogers, “High-Resolution Patterns of Quantum Dots Formed by Electrohydrodynamic Jet Printing for Light-Emitting Diodes“ Nano Lett., 15, 969–973 (2015).
- M. Kang, G. Huang, C. Leal, “Role of lipid polymorphism in acoustically sensitive liposomes“ Soft Matter 10, 8846–8854 (2014).
- C. Leal, N. F. Bouxsein, K. K. Ewert, C. R. Safinya, "Highly efficient gene silencing activity of siRNA embedded in a nanostructured gyroid cubic lipid matrix" J. Am. Chem. Soc. 132, 16841–16847 (2010).
- C. Leal, D. Sandström, P. Nevsten, D. Topgaard, "Local and translational dynamics in DNA–lipid assemblies monitored by solid-state and diffusion NMR" Biochim. Biophys. Acta – Biomembranes 1778, 214–228 (2008).
- List of Teachers Ranked as Excellent by their Students for Fall 2020 - MSE 201-Phases and Phase Relations, UIUC (2020)
- List of Teachers Ranked as Excellent by their Students for Spring 2017 - MSE 473-Biomolecular Materials Science, UIUC (2017)
- List of Teachers Ranked as Excellent by their Students for Fall 2015 - MSE 201-Phases and Phase Relations, UIUC (2015)
- Illinois Grainger College of Engineering Dean's Award for Excellence in Research for Associate Professor (2021)
- Racheff Faculty Scholar Award (2019)
- UIUC Campus Distinguished Promotion Award (2019)
- Illinois Grainger College of Engineering Dean's Award for Excellence in Research for Assistant Professor (2018)
- National Center for Supercomputing Applications (NCSA) Faculty Fellowship (2017)
- NIH New Innovator Award: A New Paradigm In Nanomedicine: Can Structural Interiors of Nanoparticles Regulate Cellular Delivery? (DP2-EB-024377) (2016)
- NSF CAREER Award: Nanostructured Soft Substrates for Responsive Bioactive Coatings (DMR -1554435 ) (2016)
- BIOE 497 - Individual Study
- MSE 201 - Phases and Phase Relations
- MSE 473 - Biomolecular Materials Science
- MSE 559 - Soft Materials Seminar