B.S. in Physics, Tsing-Hua University, Taiwan, 1970
M.S. in Physics, Northwestern University, 1973
Ph.D. in Materials Science and Engineering, Northwestern University, 1977
University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign (UIUC):
• Emeritus Professor, Materials Science & Engineering (2002-Present)
• Adjunct Professor, Materials Science & Engineering (2002-2004)
• Administrative Fellow, Office of the Vice President for Academic Affairs (1999-2000)
• Professor of Materials Science & Engineering (1987-2001)
• Principal Investigator, Fredrick Seitz Materials Research Laboratory (1978-2001)
• Director, UNICAT (Synchrotron X-ray Program) (1991-2001)
• Chairman, Metallurgy Division (1995-2000)
• Associate Professor, Metallurgical Engineering (1982-1987)
• Assistant Professor, Metallurgical Engineering(1978-1982)
City University of Hong Kong:
• Head, Department of Physics & Materials Science (2000-2004)
• Chair Professor of Materials Science (2000-2004)
Tunghai University (Taiwan):
• Emeritus Chair Professor (2017 - Present)
• President, Tunghai University (2004-2012)
• Professor, Department of Physics, Tunghai University (2004-2012)
University of Macau:
• Emeritus Professor (2017 - Present)
• Vice Rector (Student Affairs) (2012-2017)
• Chair Professor of Physics and Materials Science (2012-2017)
National Chiao Tung University (Taiwan) (2017 - Present)
Chief Strategist, Office of University Advancement
Specially Appointed Professor, International College of Semiconductor Technology
Other Professional Employment
1972 to March 1977
• Research Assistant, Dept. of Materials Science & Engineering, Northwestern University, Evanston, Illinois, from July
from March 1, 1977 to July 16, 1978
• Research Associate, Alloy Properties Group, Materials Science Division, Argonne National Laboratory, Argonne, Illinois,
• Visiting Professor, National Tsing-Hua University, Taiwan, from Jan. 1 to May 31, 1985
1 to May 31, 1985
• Visiting Scientist, Materials Research Laboratories, Industrial Technology Research Institute, Taiwan, R.O.C., from Jan.
• Research Fellow, Intense Pulsed Neutron Source, Argonne National Laboratory, summer 1987
• Fellow, International Exchange Program. University of Tsukuba, Tsukuba, Japan, summer 1989
• Scientist-in-Residence, Argonne National Laboratory, Argonne, IL, Jan.1 to June 30, 1993
• Fellow, Japanese Society for Promotion of Science, University of Tsukuba, Japan, Dec. 3, 1995 to Jan. 31, 1996
• Research Fellow, MPI-Metallforschung, Stuttgart, Germany, June-July, 1999
• Expert commissioned by the Russian Science Foundation (Feb. 2015 – Present)
• Member of the Editorial Board, Journal of Functional Materials (Feb. 2014- Present)
• Member of the International Editorial Committee, Journal of Korean Ceramic Society (Feb. 2002- 2012)
• Editor, Materials Transactions, Journal by Japanese Institute of Metals (2001 – 2012)
• Principal Editor (Aug. 1997-2006), previously on the Advisory Board (1992-97), of Materials Chemistry & Physics
• Elected Member of the Small-Angle Scattering Special Interest Group of the American Crystallographic Association
• Elected Member of the Advanced Photon Source Users Organization (APSUO) Steering Committee (1990-1992).
• Radiation Program (1991-1993).
• Appointed Member of the Advisory Board for the Argonne National Laboratory –Materials Science Division Synchrotron
Alamos National Laboratory (1987-90).
• Appointed Member of the Program Advisory Committee for IPNS of Argonne National Laboratory and LANSCE of Los
Engineering, Buenos Aires, Argentina, Nov. 1995.
• Appointed Member of the USA Delegation to the First Argentina-USA Bilateral Symposium on Materials Science and
• Member of American Crystallographic Association (ACA) (until 1998)
• Member of American Ceramic Society (ACerS)
• Member of American Physical Society (APS)
• Member of Material Research Society (MRS)
• Member of the Metallurgical Society (TMS) of AIME
• Chairman of ASM Sangamon Valley Chapter (1983-84)
• Chairman of the Phase Transformation Committee of ASM-MSCTS (1989 -1992).
• Chairman of the Structures Committee of ASM-MSCTS (1994 -1997)
Institution of Science (HKIS)
• Council member (since December 2001) and Executive Committee member (since December 2002) of Hong Kong
• Member of Technical Programming Board of ASM-International (since August 2000)
• Critical Technology Sector (ASM-MSCTS) Council
• Chair (2000 – 2004), Chair-Elect (1998 - 2000) and an Executive Member (1989 – 1998) of the ASM Materials Science
• Fellow of ASM-International (ASM)
• Fellow of Hong Kong Institution of Engineers, HKIE
I. P. Raevski, S. P. Kubrin, A. V. Blazhevich, M. S. Molokeev, S. V. Misjul, E. V. Eremin, H. Chen, C. C. Chou, E. I. Sitalo, S. I. Raevskaya, V. V. Titov, D. A. Sarychev, M. A. Malitskaya, I. N. Zakharchenko, “Studies of ferroelectric and magnetic phase transitions in multiferroic PbFe0.5B0.5O3 –PbTiO3 (B- Nb, Ta) solid solution ceramics”, in Advanced Materials: Physics, Mechanics and Applications (Springer Proceedings in Physics, Vol. 152), Springer International Publishing, 109-120 (2014).
А. А. Gusev, I. P. Raevski, Е. G. Аvvakumov, V. P. Isupov, S. P. Kubrin, H. Chen, C.C. Chou, D. A. Sarychev, V. V. Titov, A. M. Pugachev, S. I. Raevskaya, V. V. Stashenko, “The effect of mechanical activation on the synthesis and properties of multiferroic lead iron niobate”, in Advanced Materials: Physics, Mechanics and Applications (Springer Proceedings in Physics, Vol. 152), Springer International Publishing, 15-26 (2014).
C.H. Ma, J.H. Huang and Haydn Chen, “Ion-Beam Assisted Deposition of Transition Metal Nitrides”, in Handbook of Residual Stress (Second Edition) Volume 1 Residual Stresses: Manufacturing and Materials Processing, Edited by Jian Liu, Published by the Society for Experimental Mechanics, Inc. through the American Institute of Physics. (2005).
S.C. Tjong and Haydn Chen, “Nanocrystalline Materials and Coatings”, Materials Science and Engineering Review, R 45(1-2), 1-88 (2004).
Selected Articles in Journals
Measurement of residual stress on TiN/Ti bilayer thin films using average X-ray strain combined with laser curvature and nanoindentation methods, Soichan Lei, Jia-Hong Huang, *Haydn Chen, Materials Chemistry and Physics (2017), Volume 199, 15 September 2017, Pages 185–192 (Available online 21 June 2017).
Misfit strain-induced changes in the Fe-sublattice of multiferroic Pb(Fe1/2Nb1/2)O3 epitaxial nanofilm seen via Raman spectroscopy, Yu.I. Yuzyuk, *I.P. Raevski, S.I. Raevskaya, N. Lemée, M.G. Karkut, W. Peng, M. El Marssi, H. Chen, Journal of Alloys and Compounds, Volume 695, 25 February 2017, Pages 1821-1825 (Available online 3 November 2016).
Significantly Enhanced Energy Density in Nanocomposite Capacitors Combining the TiO2 Nanorod Array with Poly(vinylidene fluoride), Lingmin Yao, Zhongbin Pan, Shaohui Liu, *Jiwei Zhai, *Haydn H.D. Chen, ACS Applied Materials & Interfaces, 8 (39), pp 26343–26351 (2016).
Effect of Different Templates on Electrical Properties of Textured KNN-Based Ceramics, Lingyu Li, Wangfeng Bai, Yang Zhang, *Bo Shen, *Jiwei Zhai, and Haydn Chen, Ferroelectrics, Volume 490, 85-93 (2016).
Structural, dielectric and Mossbauer studies of PbFe0.5Sb0.5O3 ceramics with differing degree of compositional ordering, I. P. Raevski, A. V. Pushkarev, S. I. Raevskaya, N. M. Olekhnovich, Yu. V. Radyush, S. P. Kubrin, H. Chen, C.-C. Chou, D. A. Sarychev, V. V. Titov, and M. A. Malitskaya, Ferroelectrics, Volume 501, 154–164 (2016).
X-ray and dielectric studies of hot-pressed K2Sr4Nb10O30 ceramics, O. A. Bunina, Yu. A. Kuprina, *I. P. Raevski, Ya. S. Knyazeva, S. I. Raevskaya, H. Chen, C.–C. Chou, V. V. Titov, D. Mezzane, and E. I. Sitalo, Ferroelectrics, Volume 501, 145–153 (2016).
Electron microscopy, XRD, Mossbauer and dielectric studies of Pb(Fe0.5Nb0.5)1-xSnxO3 multiferroic ceramics, S. I. Raevskaya, V. V. Titov, *I. P. Raevski, S. P. Kubrin, H. Chen, C.-C. Chou, D. A. Sarychev, S. I. Shevtsova, M. A. Malitskaya, and I. N. Zakharchenko, Ferroelectrics, Volume 496, 213–224 (2016).
Electron microscopy, XRD, dielectric, and Mossbauer studies of Li-doped Pb(Fe0.5Nb0.5)O3 ceramics sintered from mechanically activated powders, A. A. Gusev, S. I. Raevskaya, *I. P. Raevski, V. P. Isupov, E. G. Avvakumov, S. P. Kubrin, H. Chen, V. V. Titov, T. A. Minasyan, C.- C. Chou, S. V. Titov, and M. A. Malitskaya, Ferroelectrics, Volume 496, 250–260 (2016).
Electron microscopy, X-Ray diffraction and Mossbauer studies of PbFe0.5Nb0.5O3, PbFe0.5Ta0.5O3 and BaFe0.5Nb0.5O3 ceramics sintered from mechanoactivated nanopowders, A. A. Gusev, S. I. Raevskaya, V. V. Titov, V. P. Isupov, E. G. Avvakumov, *I. P. Raevski, H. Chen, C.-C. Chou, S. P. Kubrin, S. V. Titov, M. A. Malitskaya, D. A. Sarychev, V. V. Stashenko, and S. I. Shevtsova, Ferroelectrics, Volume 496, 231–239 (2016).
A novel phase-controlling-sintering route for improvement of diopside-based microwave dielectric materials, Kuei-Chih Feng, *Chen-Chia Chou, Chung-Ya Tsao, Li-Wen Chu, Igor P. Raevski, Haydn Chen, Ceramics International, Volume 41, S526–S529 (2015).
• Listed in Who's Who in Science and Engineering
• Listed in Who's Who in American Education
• Listed in American Men & Women of Science
• Honorable Chair Lecturer, National Science Council, Taiwan (1991, 1999 and 2001)
• Distinguished International Exchange Fellow of the University of Tsukuba, Japan (1989)
• 1989 Anderson Excellent Advisor of the College of Engineering at UIUC
• List of Excellent Teachers in 1988, 1989, 1994, 1997 - selected by students at UIUC
• Member, Research Board of Advisors, American Biographical Institute, Inc. (2000-2002)
• Principal Editor, Materials Chemistry and Physics (1997-2006)
• Member of Honor Societies Sigma Xi and Alpha Sigma Mu
• Member, New York Academy of Sciences (MNYAS)
• MACRONIX Honorary Lecturer, National Chiao Tung University, Taiwan (2001)
• Consultant Professor, South China University of Science & Technology (9/2002-present)
• Fellow of Hong Kong Institution of Engineers (FHKIE)
• Fellow of JSPS (Japan Society for Promotion of Science) (FJSPS)
• Fellow of ASM-International (FASM)
• Humboldt Research Award (Germany Alexander von Humboldt Foundation)
• Honorary Member of the Phi Tau Phi Scholastic Honor Society of the Republic of China (2004)
• Distinguished Alumni Award, College of Science at National Tsing Hua University, Taiwan (2005)
• Outstanding Scholar Award, Foundation for the Advancement of Outstanding Scholarship, Taiwan (2005)
• 26th Lu Tze Hung Memorial Award, The Chinese Society for Materials Science, Taiwan (2006)