Jessica Anne Krogstad
For More Information
- Jessica A. Krogstad is an associate professor in the Department of Material Science and Engineering at the University of Illinois, Urbana-Champaign. She received her PhD in Materials at the University of California, Santa Barbara working with Prof. Carlos G. Levi and completed a postdoctoral at Johns Hopkins University with Prof. Kevin J. Hemker before joining UIUC in 2014. Her current research explores the interplay between phase or morphological evolution and material functionality in structural materials under extreme conditions. She is the recipient of a several awards including DOE Early Career Award, the ACerS Robert L. Coble Award for Young Scholars and the TMS Early Career Faculty Fellow Award.
Our group focuses on understanding materials in nonequilibrium configurations and the evolution thereof, so as to generate and optimize unique functionality for operation in dynamic and extreme environments. Today, continued advancement in transportation, communication, energy conversion, and many other critical technologies relies on performance of materials, often under harsh conditions where chemistry, scale and morphology may change significantly over the coarse of operation. Understanding how traditional design criteria evolve in these environments is vital not only for lifecycle and failure analysis, but once understood, these can be used to improve performance or develop alternative material systems.
Selected Articles in Journals
- ]Y-Y. Lin, J.Qu, W.J. Gustafson, P-C Kung, N. Shah, S. Shrivastav, E. Ertekin, J.A. Krogstad, N.H. Perry. “Coordination flexibility as a high-throughput descriptor for identifying solid electrolytes with Li+ sublattice disorder: A computational and experimental study.” J Power Sources 553 (2023) 232251. DOI: 10.1016/j.jpowsour.2022.232251
- G.M. Valentino, S. Xiang, K.Y. Xie, M-R. He, W.C. Oliver, G.M. Pharr, J.A. Krogstad, T.P. Weihs, K.J. Hemker. “Investigating the localized anisotropic plasticity of nanotwinned Ni-Mo-W alloys.” Acta Mater 204 116507 (2021). DOI: 10.1016/j.actamat.2020.116507
- E. Lang, H. Schamis, N. Madden, C.S. Smith, R. Kolasinkski, J.A Krogstad, J.P. Allain. “Recrystallization suppression through dispersion-strengthening of tungsten.” J. Nuclear Materials 545 152613 (2021). DOI: 10.1016/j.jnucmat.2020.152613
- Y-Y. Lin, A.X.B. Yong, W.J. Gustafson, C.N. Reedy, E. Ertekin, J.A. Krogstad, N.H. Perry. “Toward design of cation transport in solid-state battery electrolytes: Structure-dynamics relationships.” Current Opinion in Solid State & Materials Science 24  100875 (2020). DOI: 10.1016/j.cossms.2020.100875 (Invited Review)
- J-H. Fu, A-Y. Lu, N.J. Madden, C.C. Wu, Y-C. Chen, M-H. Chiu, K. Hattar, J.A. Krogstad, S.S.Chou, J.Kong, L-J. Li, V. Tung. “Additive Manufacturing assisted van der Waals Integration of 3D/3D Hierarchically Functional Nanostructures.” Commun Mater. 1, no. 1 (2020): 1-10. DOI: 10.1038/s43246-020-0041-2
- G.M. Valentino, P.P. Shetty, A. Chauhan, J.A. Krogstad, T.P. Weihs, K.J. Hemker. “Nanotwin formation in Ni-Mo-W alloys deposited by dc magnetron sputtering.”Scripta Mater 186, 247-252 (2020). DOI: 10.1016/j.scriptamat.2020.05.031
- G. Valentino, J.A. Krogstad, T.P. Weihs, K.J. Hemker. “Tailoring the coefficient of thermal expansion of ternary nickel alloys through compositional control and non-contact measurements.” J Alloy Compounds (2020) DOI: 10.1016/j.jallcom.2020.155024
- G. Valentino, P. Shetty, J.A. Krogstad, K.J. Hemker. “Fabrication of Freestanding Metallic Ni-Mo-W Microcantilever Beams with High Dimensional Stability.” J Microeletromech S. (2020) DOI: 10.1109/JMEMS.2019.2958862
- P. Shetty, S. Daryadel, B.T. Haire, C.S. Smith, Z. Tucker, T. Wu, V. Subramani, J. Morrison, P. Quayle, S. Yeates, P.V. Braun, J.A. Krogstad. “Low-temperature pack aluminization process on pipeline alloy steel to inhibit asphalting deposition.” ACS Applied Materials and Interfaces (2019). DOI: 10.1021/acsami.9b17430
- M.G. Emigh, J.A. Krogstad. “In situ transmission electron microscopy investigation of continuous precipitation of HCP-based Ni3Mo in a superalloy formed by direct current magnetron sputtering.” Scripta Mater. 173, 66-69 (2019). DOI: 10.1016/j.scriptamat.2019.07.028
- P. Shetty, R. Zhang, B.T. Haire, C.S. Smith, L.M. Kenny, T. Wu, V. Subramani, J. Morrison, P. Quayle, S. Yeates, P.V. Braun, J.A. Krogstad. "Effect of surface chemistry and roughness on the high temperature deposition of a model asphaltene." 33 , 4104-4114 (2019). DOI: 10.1021/acs.energyfuels.9b00386
- E. Lang, N. Madden, C. Smith, J.A. Krogstad, J.P. Allain. "Deciphering the role of second phase precipitates on early-stage surface morphology development of dispersion-strengthened W alloys under low energy He irradiation." Nucl. Mater. Energy. 19, 47-54 (2019). DOI: 10.1016/j.nme.2019.01.016
- P. Shetty, M. Emigh, J.A. Krogstad. “Coupled oxidation resistance and thermal stability in sputter deposited nanograined alloys.” J Mater Res. 34 , 48-57 (2019) DOI: 10.1557/jmr.2018.403.
- M. Emigh, R. McAuliffe, T. Weihs, K.J. Hemker, D.P. Shoemaker, J.A. Krogstad. “Influence of a nanotwinned, nanocrystalline microstructure on aging of a Ni-25Mo-8Cr superalloy.” Acta Mater. 156, 411-419 (2018). DOI: 10.1016/j.actamat.2018.07.007
- E. Lang, N. Madden, C. Smith, J.A. Krogstad, J.P. Allain. “Microstructural and compositional effects of transition metal carbide additions on dispersion-strengthened W alloys fabricated via spark plasma sintering.” Int J Refract Metals Hard Mater. 75, 279-286 (2018). DOI: 10.1016/j.ijrmhm.2018.04.015
- P.P.Shetty, R. Zhang, J.P.Angle, P.V. Braun, J.A. Krogstad. Pack aluminization assisted enhancement of thermo-mechanical properties in nickel inverse opal structures. Chem. Mater., 30 , 1648–1654 (2018). DOI: 10.1021/acs.chemmater.7b04988
- Junho Oh, R. Zhang, P. Shetty, J.A. Krogstad, P.V. Braun, N. Miljkovic. “Thin Film Condensation on Nanostructured Surfaces.” Adv. Funct. Mater. 2018, 1707000 (2018). DOI: 10.1002/adfm.201707000
- Gi-Dong Sim; J.A. Krogstad; K.Y. Xie; S. Dasgupta; G.M. Valentino; T.P Weihs, K.J. Hemker. “Tailoring the mechanical properties of sputter deposited nano-twinned Nickel-Molybdenum-Tungsten films.” Acta Mater. 144 216-225 (2018). DOI: 10.1016/j.actamat.2017.10.065.
- Gi-Dong Sim, J.A. Krogstad, K.M. Reddy, K.Y. Xie, T.P. Weihs, K.J. Hemker. “Nano-twinned Nickel-Molybdenum-Tungsten thin films with ultra high strength and thermal mechanical stability.” Science Advances 3  (2017). DOI: 10.1126/sciadv.1700685.
- R. Mansbach, A. Ferguson, K. Kilian, J. Krogstad, C. Leal, A. Schleife, D. R. Trinkle, M. West and G. L. Herman. Reforming an Undergraduate Materials Science Curriculum with Computational Modules. J. Mater. Educ. 38 [3-4] 161-174 (2016).
- Krogstad, J.A., Y. Gao, J. Bai, J. Wang, D.M. Lipkin, C.G. Levi. "In situ Diffraction Study of the Decomposition of t'-Zirconia at High Temperature." J. Am. Ceram. Soc. 98  247-254 (2015). DOI: 10.1111/jace.13249.
- Krogstad, J.A., C. Keimel, K.J. Hemker. "Emerging Materials for Microelectromechanical Systems at High Temperature" J. Mater. Res. 29  1597-1608 (2014). DOI: 10.1557/jmr.2014.183.
- Xie, K.Y., M.F. Toksoy, K. Kuwelkar, B. Zhang, J.A. Krogstad, R.A. Haber, K.J. Hemker. "Effect of Alumina on the Structure and Mechanical Properties of Spark Plasma Sintered Boron Carbide." J. Am. Ceram. Soc. 97  3710–3718 (2014). DOI: 10.1111/jace.13178.
- Krogstad, J.A., M. Lepple, C.G. Levi. “Opportunities for Improved TBC Durability in the CeO2-TiO2-ZrO2 System.” Surf. Coat. Tech. 221 (2013) 44-52. DOI: 10.1016/j.surfcoat.2013.01.026.
- Krogstad, J.A., R.M. Leckie, S. Krämer, D.M. Lipkin, C.A. Johnson, C.G. Levi. “Phase Evolution upon Aging of Air Plasma Spray t’-Zirconia Thermal Barrier Coatings¬: II – Microstructural Evolution.” J. Am. Ceram. Soc., 96  299-307 (2013). DOI: 10.1111/j.1551-2916.2012.05460.x
- Lipkin, D.M., J.A. Krogstad, Y. Gao, C.A. Johnson, W.A. Nelson, C.G. Levi. “Phase Evolution upon Aging of Air Plasma Spray t’-Zirconia Thermal Barrier Coatings¬: I - Synchrotron Diffraction.” J. Am. Ceram. Soc., 96  290-298 (2013). DOI: 10.1111/j.1551-2916.2012.05451.x
- Krogstad, J.A., M. Lepple, Y. Gao, D.M. Lipkin, C.G. Levi. “Effect of Yttria Content on the Zirconia Unit Cell Parameters.” J. Am. Ceram. Soc., 94  4548-55 (2011). DOI: 10.1111/j.1551-2916.2011.04862.x
- Krogstad, J.A., S. Krämer, D.M. Lipkin, C.A. Johnson, D.G.R. Mitchell, J.M. Cairney, C.G.Levi. “Phase Stability of t’-Zirconia Based TBCs: Mechanistic Insights.” J. Am. Ceram. Soc., 94 s168-s177 (2011). DOI: 10.1111/j.1551-2916.2011.04531.x.
- TMS Young Leader Professional Development Award (2014)
- DOE Early Career Award (2016)
- NSF CAREER Award (2017)
- United Kingdom Royal Academy of Engineering Distinguished Visiting Fellowship (2018)
- The American Ceramic Society’s Robert L. Coble Award for Young Scholars (2019)
- TMS Early Career Faculty Fellow Award (2020)
- The American Ceramics Society's ECD Jubilee Global Diversity Award (2021)
Recent Courses Taught
- MSE 206 - Mechanics for MatSE
- MSE 440 - Mechanical Behavior of Metals
- MSE 529 - Hard Materials Seminar